Tuesday, February 17, 2009

My script is about....

I mentioned that I will be a more active blogger because I am writing a script and I really need an outlet to play with ideas via the blog... It is definitely true, and I am writing about being an Indian living in America..

There are a lot of films made precisely about this subject- like American Desi, The Namesake, Mississippi Masala but let's be realistic. There are unique films but in general, all films fit into one of however many stories that exist in the world. According to some teachers, that number may be as low as 10 and for other teachers the number may be several hundred. My job as an artist is to use my own personal experiences to retell one of these stories so that it is unique and compelling to the audience.

So the film is about an Indian man married to an American woman and their struggles to resolve many of their cultural differences. The film will definitely be a comedy- but not a slapsticky comedy where the jokes and gags are over the top. By making a film about Indians and Americans not understanding one another I run the risk of making the comedy too extreme, but it is my job to keep it under control.