Saturday, February 21, 2009

Spec Commercial Idea Revised

After watching a bunch of commercials online at various sites, I have decided that my toddler shoe commercial is not bad at all. It does need tweaking, but my idea, once it is modified and thoroughly developed, will be just as good if not better than many of the commercials that are out there. I am not saying I am brilliant, but the actual process of making commercials in the professional world usually takes creativity out of the equation. That is the topic for another blog post down the line.

I have actually come up with 2 very simple shoe commercials since last night. The first is to start with the close ups on many different types of shoes- boots, princess shoes, sandals, thongs, etc. A little girl watches intently as her mother holds up a pair and asks the girl if these are the shoes she wants. The little girl screams and cries hysterically, shoe after shoe, until the winning pair is selected. Close ups on the winning pair of shoes as they are put on the girl's feet. She smiles and runs past the camera.

This commercial is a real life drama that my wife and I experience almost every day now. It is the latest phase in Aniya's development, and I do love it. Aniya lately is into her shoes, but she does not want your help to put the shoes on, or sometimes even choose them. The problem is that she is still a little too young to put the shoes on herself, so the result is a lot of frustration and a lot of crying. As a result, the sponsor for this particular commercial really depends on the day I finally shoot it.

The second commercial I think should be a spec for Converse. We recently bought a pair of pink, slip on, Converse All-Star shoes for Aniya that are really cute. To modify my idea from last night, the commercial could start with Aniya fully dressed, standing listlessy in the middle of the room, with a generic pair of shoes on. The pink pair of Converse shoes are grabbed off a shelf and her mom replaces her shoes. Instantly, Aniya is more energetic- running, laughing, and having a great time. Converse.

Hopefully, the imagery for this second spec commerical will help sell the brand. These ideas might be mediocre, they might be bad, but if I want to try and be a commercial director I need to make as many spec commercials as possible. Slowly, I will figure out which ones are the strongest and put those to the top of my reel.