Thursday, March 29, 2007

Big Scare: Don't Use Filevault

Earlier this evening, I was supposed to send Tanya's D.P. a copy of her film SINK to view. When I went to my computer, I could not open the FCP project and was getting a general error. I called one of my work buddies and he told me the project was either an older version of FCP or it was corrupted and I was screwed. I couldn't understand what was going on, and I began checking my other projects, and each one of those had a general error as well. My final edit for my short film PILFERER, which I have been waiting patiently to online cheaply at work, was gone, as well as all 2000 or so photos that my wife and I have taken of each other.

I was on the verge of a complete meltdown.. I wasn't sure what was worse- losing the edit information, the photos, or maybe the thought that it was time for a new computer, but my brain was on the verge of going to a very unhappy place when I remembered I had installed Firevault on my mac to better secure my files. It was my last hope for salvation, and when I tried to turn the security off, my computer of course told me I needed 4000 more gigs to do so.

My computer recommended to delete the trash and make more room on my hard drive, and I began burning backup DVD's of my entire system and deleting to create more space for firevault to shut itself off. Finally, after several tense hours, all my files are now restored. I can open Tanya's project as well as my own. I did not start this blog to bash any products or companies, but I have to warn others about Firevault. It's use of encryption somehow rendered all my important files useless. The lesson learned is to only mess with your computer when you know what you are doing. I'm happy I will be able to sleep tonight. .