Monday, March 19, 2007

New Baby Name

We stumbled across a new baby name today. Last week, I emailed my parents with a new name, Anya. When we spoke to them this morning, my mom pronounced the name Ania. We were both pretty sure Anya was not going to make the cut, but Ania jumped out and grabbed both of us. Ania is of Polish and Slavic origin, and means graceful, or full of grace.

As of right now, we are considering two names: Ania and Saria. My parents are thoroughly against Saria for many reasons, the silliest being that in Hindi, a slight change on the vowel emphasis makes the name mean the steal girders that buildings are made of. That doesn't sound too good to me either, so let's see if Ania is the one. I know the name is not Indian, but it sounds very pretty and it is very unique. I'm curious to see which family member or friend will step forward with an objection.