Monday, March 5, 2007

Creating Shot Sheet

It always takes much longer to create storyboards, shot sheets, etc. etc, but I am done with my first pass, which I am very happy about. I presently have 6 different camera setups inside the bar and 14 shots that I would like.

As an editor who has cut pretty much every format, I like to think I know what shots I need and which shots I don't. Each day when I edit there usually is a moment where I need a shot to make an idea work and the director/producer or camera man just didn't think to get it. And that's where my job begins. I then have to comb through each shot, every single frame to somehow cheat, or create a real, believable moment. It can drive me crazy sometimes.

To be fair, there often is no way to anticipate that your original concept will not work and some heavy editing is required. The only thing you can do is try to shoot a few options, even safety shots, so in case something does not work, there may be a creative way to solve the problem.

I hopefully will come up with some new ideas over the week to further improve my existing boards.