Friday, March 16, 2007

Meet Ed DuRante

I worked the late shift today so I will be pretty much be a zombie tomorrow when I go in for a normal day shift. It would be better if I had slept in this morning, but I had a lot to take care of. Most important, I met with Ed to discuss his feature script. We had a really good brainstorming session and I think he might incorporate some of my suggestions into the final script. As the editor, you give your comments and suggestions and then wait to see what the director will come up with. Fortunately, Ed and I have worked together for over 7 years, and we have been able to develop a good working relationship.

Ed is really the only friend I have from film school, and I have been to film school twice, once for undergrad and again for the grad program. I have edited for other fellow students and am still in touch with a few people, but Ed is a friend, and I don't have a lot of friends. We are both directors, but he is an excellent writer and I am an editor, so he has written scripts for me and I have edited films for him. We somehow have similar aesthetics that compliment each other.. we both like to push the envelope and only pursue ideas that we feel are new and present a new spin to an old situation. The funny thing is that when I first moved to New York City to attend NYU, we lived across the street from each other. We never hung out until the next year when I moved uptown.